About 50 boats from six nations are ready to race for the H-Boat World Championship in Struer in the coming week.
The Covid-19 pandemic has been a large challenge for the organisers of the world championship, which is held in Struer in the coming week. Additionally, the new Delta-variant have had a crucial influence on the number of registrations for the event.
Those are the words from Otto G. Jensen from Struer Sejlklub, who along with Struer Municipality, is the main organiser of this large yachting event in Struer.
– We did, among others, expect several participants from Norway, but the quarantine rules have been tightened drastically, which unfortunately means that there will be no Norwegian participants, states Otto G. Jensen.
The hope was also up for more participants from Germany and Sweden, but the Covid-19 pandemic has also been working against the potential participants here. But, seen from the organiser’s viewpoint, it is extremely positive that the world championship can be held in 2021, given the cancellation in 2020.
– The insecurity regarding Covid-19 have complicated the preparations, and a lot of energy has been put into informing each country of the risk of infection with Covid-19, as well as the spread of the virus in Denmark over time. We have seen other international events be cancelled, so we are fortunate that the world championship can be held, despite all this, Otto G. Jensen continues.
About 50 boats on the water
About 50 boats from six nations will be racing for the world championship trophy in the waters just outside Struer. Apart from Denmark, the participants come from Sweden, Finland, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany.
The event starts Wednesday 11 August with two races. Thursday, Friday and Saturday will consist of three races, before the final winner can be found.
The event will be officially opened on Tuesday afternoon and evening by the city hall in Struer. The mayor of Struer, Niels Viggo Lynghøj, will greet the many participants welcome, after they have walked in procession from the yachting harbour, with Struer Jernbaneorkester (orchestra) in the lead.
A number of initiatives and events will be possible to make use for the audiences and other interested. Among other things, it will be possible to see the races from the old Venø-Ferry up close on the water, as this ferry will act as a floating tribune during the event.
Live TV from the world championship
– There will be streamed live TV from every day at the event. Additionally, we have an agreement with TV2 MidtVest (the local TV station), which makes it possible for us to show images from the races and thus, showcase the highlights every night, concludes Otto G. Jensen.
It will also be possible to follow the sailings via the so-called Trac-Trac-system, which can be seen on either your PC or smartphone. Simultaneous to this, as mentioned above, there will be live-streamed from parts of the event, the organisers’ states.
- The H-Boat world championship is held from August 9th to August 14th, 2021
- The regatta is organised by Struer Sejlklub in cooperation with Struer Municipality.
- Besides Danish contestants, there will be participating boats from Sweden, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Finland.
- It is expected there will be 150 elite-sailors in Struer during the WC, divided on about 50 boats
- The H-boat is among one of the most widespread yachting-race-classes in the world.
- The keelboat in fibreglass was designed by Hans Groop from Finland in 1967.